Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Mixing colors


I've been reading w/c books about mixing 3 primary hues to create a palette. My first two attempts weren't so good, then I discovered the combinations made by Winsor Newton's permanent rose, indigo, and new gamboge (a yellow).

Besides good secondary blends (purple, orange, green), with these 3 primaries I can easily mix realistic browns and grays. So handy for sketching furniture, houses, hair, fur, skin tones, and tree bark.

Who doesn't love messing with paint?

2 comments:

vfm4 said...

i love that too... do it all the time... :)

nice painting!

Lovekandinsky said...

As you've probably noticed, I CANNOT do hands at all. I really like your blue version, the shadowing, etc. Very simple, yet for those of us who can't do it, very impressive. :-)