Saturday, August 27, 2005

Digital transformation




At Modern Gypsy I found instructions for making a mandala from any triangular slice of an image. Instead of Photoshop, I used Gimp, free Linux-based software that comes in a Windows XP version.



In a collaborative learning exercise, I and my husband figured out the basics from a GIMP manual. I selected a triangle from the blueberries I painted on July 18. We created a single mandala, then a tiled version.

Before the berries, as our first attempt, I tried a freehand selection from a photo of our cat Chaucer crouched on top of a door.
Even with mismatches and mistakes, repetition of the same slice turned into a workable image. This was such fun! Now any drawing can blossom into a new multiplex form.

5 comments:

Teri said...

Nita, that is too cool! I am looking into it! Thanks for sharing. I love mandalas.

Teri

Anonymous said...

Love this! Somewhat different from your usual style, but you can definitely turn doodling into a high art form :)
(if you ever feel inclined to make a big print of this one, let me know)
And such a cute little sprout!

"Maggie & Kevin" said...

Nita,

Thanks for visiting and the warm comments. I had such fun illustrating a blind contour challenge.

Your pattern work is so intriguing-the blueberries are so vibrant. This would make a great plate set don't you think?

vfm4 said...

isn't Gimp fantastic? :)

ling1505 said...

this is nice. thanks for sharing.