Saturday, August 06, 2005

Examining the tangled roots


Those teeny words say "rooted in complexity, craving space."

I began with random doodling. Then as I thought of two creative works I enjoyed on vacation last week: Kelly Mark's Letraset drawings at the Montreal Contemporary Art Museum and Karen Armstrong's autobiographical book, The Spiral Staircase, the doodle turned into this view of the jumble hidden under a simple looking sprout.

Technical pen and watercolor on Strathmore drawing paper.

9 comments:

Kyra said...

This is great! I really like it a lot. Simplicity in complexity. Or the other way around. :)

Anonymous said...

Love this! Somewhat different from your usual style, but you can definitely turn doodling into a high art form :)
(if you ever feel inclined to make a big print of this one, let me know)
And such a cute little sprout!

Kathleen Pequignot said...

I like this abstract doodle!

Dawn said...

This is so cool! I love the way the complex roots balance out the simple little sprout.

Dynamite Soul said...

My goodness. This SO demonstrates how I feel about my history and culture. So awesome, this is.

Peace

atomicvelvetsigh said...

nice art. kinda looks like Picasso having a great day. 8)

carla said...

I like this Nita! I am a huge fan of doodles gone wild. This one is so colorful and lyrical in its lines.

Sarah said...

Lovely artwork. I often think some of the best ideas and best work starts life as a doodle. Perhaps because you are not really concentrating your subconscious and creativity is let loose. Whatever ...it certainly seems to have worked here ! :)

Johnnynorms said...

I love the feel, and the concept of your roots painting.