Thursday, October 06, 2005

Random ribbons


A friend asked me to write about process. In this one I just wanted to play with gouache complements in a small Moleskine sketchbook. I drew a ribbon, then pondered each space division before I added another. I focused on negative spaces.

After adding red around the edge, I almost quit, but then examined those negative spaces again and added red ribbons. I felt the work was still unfinished but decided to keep it linear, not filling spaces with flat color (and no other color called me).

I decided that linear verticals of inked lines would bring the ribbons forward, adding them until they felt right. Then I quit while I still liked it.

Enough process, LS? Thanks for asking!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

bless you! beautiful painting and luscious description. Exactly what I needed to inspire my Thursday evening. I love the shapes you've created, makes me want to get my brush out and loop de loop...

Anonymous said...

ps I forgot to mention that the lines somehow make me think of sheet music. I know they're the wrong direction, but something about the spacing evokes the written music, and the swirls remind me of the symbols for G clef and F clef. It's all very romantic.