Monday, October 24, 2005

A new Winsor & Newton pocket sketchbook




Maria asked about seeing this item, so I looked for a link to send her. Can't find one anywhere, not even on the Winsor & Newton site. There's a number on a tiny sticker inside that says: 07/17 5100/4021. No clue what that means.

It's 4x6 inches outside with paper that's 4 x 5 3/4 inches. Nice weight paper, maybe 75 or 80# (like Aquabee sketchpaper but less sizing), with a pocket in the back and ribbon bookmark. The middle picture shows the endpaper, which is slick and not as white as the inside pages. They have a nice tooth.

I bought mine last week at the Sharon Arts Gallery in Peterborough, NH. The leather is stamped on the center back with the W/N name and logo. It cost $13.75, as I recall.

I've just started using it. A little bulkier than a pocket Moleskine because of the leather cover but much, much better paper for water media. Has anyone else ever seen these before?

5 comments:

Felicity Grace said...

I'm not moved by the Moleskine books (maybe I would be if I could find one!) but this looks highly desirable! I use a fairly nondescript looking Winsor and Newton pad but the paper is fab to draw on. It feels so good! I wonder if it's similar to your pad?

Lindsay said...

ooooahhhhh this looks really lovely

pedalpower said...

That looks like a great book...I'll have to keep my eyes open for one! I like my moleskine, but I wish the paper took watercolor better.

Maria said...

Wow-wow-wow! Thank you Nita! I will call the art gallery and see if I can have one (or two, or ten!) shipped to me in San Francisco!

Sandy said...

I found these in two sizes at the CASS art store in London (on sale no less) and bought 4 - wish I had bought all they had - they are Wonderful and perfect for sketching and light WC - I too am searching for the 8x8 one I saw - Lord if anyone finds them let me know!!!!! Winsor and Newton has a goldmine here if they would make them find- able!!!