Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Sleeping cats


Rarely I can catch the cat's position fast enough before s/he moves. Drawing directly with paint is working better for me as long as I ignore fur markings and go for a mere suggestion of the shadows.

This cat is mostly gray, so fur markings don't confuse me, but I dipped into brown for this sleeping moment.

Process: w/c on Paperblanks (super white) blank journal paper.


With pencil and my tiger cat, it's easy to get confused between contour lines and fur markings. This time his position lasted just long enough to get some obvious ones down.

Pencil on very smooth paper in a top-spiralbound book. I haven't a clue who the manufacturer is, but I love the paper for dry media.

7 comments:

Felicity Grace said...

Ooh she looks beautiful in brown! You've caught that relaxed cat silhouette perfectly. I'm intrigued by the squashed can Santa too!

Anonymous said...

hi nita
love the cats so well done!

enjoyed your santa ornament collection, too.

all the best in the new year
and cheers!
-patty
(edm group)

Anonymous said...

Both renditions of your cat(s) are beautiful. My favourite is the one done in graphite because of the details you managed to capture. Well done!

Misa said...

I like these both, but the bottom one makes your cat look so... precious. I think it's really well done.

Lin said...

OH YES! Sleeping cats -- love to watch them, and you've captured yours beautifully! BTW, the last time I tried to sketch mine sleeping, my staring at her woke her up -- and that was the end of the sketching! GREAT job, Nita!

Linda said...

I love your cat drawings, especially the watercolor cat -- so quiet and cozy! :-)

Cin said...

I am really intrigued (beacuse I've never tried it) and impressed (turned out beautifully!) by your cat drawn directly with paint, it's wonderful!