Tuesday, March 25, 2008

comparing brush pens


My goal is to draw better with a brush (freehand, no pre-penciling), so I've been practicing with several kinds. Russ Stutler's Tokyo drawings, and philosophy for sketching, is my inspiration.

I've used:
1. regular water brushes, multiple sizes, filled with ink or w/c--not good flow,
2. Art Kure brushes, prefilled with ink--flow of individual pens can vary a lot
3. Pentel brushes, prefilled with ink--brush is too big, flow not great
4. Sigma Micron brush pens--tiny stiff foam brush, not that different from a tech pen
5. foam "brush" pens sold to be primarily used for Asian calligraphy--no real brush feel or flow. I have a Memory brand and another with a Japanese label, not sure where I got them (online).

The Art Kure were the best generally, except they're not refillable unless I try taking them apart. Was not a positive experience!

But I just discovered the refillable Sailor Profit brush pen available from Pendemonium. It's working really well, considering my unskillful technique so far: steady ink flow, using the Noodler's ink I like, and it has a natural brush feel with little drag and good variable line. And the brush tip is replaceable.

Learning to hold the brush above the paper, draw relatively accurately, and not smear by going back . . . it's a challenge! But I love the line quality and the direct process.

No comments: