Friday, December 08, 2006

Fair Isle and more hats


This summer I learned how to make cables, lace, intarsia and fair isle. I'm posting the most recent items, since they're the ones at the top of the clutter.

I just finished this fair isle idea/design that turned into a hand muff. (Would anyone use this?) I wanted to do a pattern on circular needles, but not a hat.







I did the cuffs on dpns (for the non-knitters: double pointed needles), then increased sharply to make the center section have enough stitches to fit on a 16" circular. Fit concerns came afterward--the muff seems a bit big, but the double thickness of fair isle makes it warmer.





I did a pastel baby hat to practice fair isle in a smaller form. The adult hats are ones I wear. The thin orange one is from sock yarn. The gray one, in bulky yarn, turned out to have a cloche shape (which you can't see) because I picked up from the cast-on edge to make a brimlike strip.

The pale gray background is a granite step under an overcast sky. The camera works great; the photographer needs training.

These are all quick knits. I started with no particular plans. I like to just knit (in the round, in this case) and see what develops.

No comments: