Thursday, May 11, 2006

Blue Bears


















The assignment I gave myself was to paint a blue bear with no pre-drawing. And this idea works for Illustration Friday's theme of "fat."

I experimented with Dr. Martin's liquid w/c on 140# Arches, trying to create the shapes without leaving an obvious contour line, before the first strokes dried too much, yet finishing the image without going back after paint had dried. A super-fast all-in-one creative act (doomed to failure).

Painting eyes in this one-step attempt was a major problem. I had minimal success on some body parts--the righthand bear was second and a bit better--but when I saw their expressions this morning, I laughed out loud.

Don't they look trapped and apprehensive?

1 comment:

carla said...

They do have a look on their faces! That sounds like a great challenge, and it turned out well... I like the guy on the left; he looks like he sees something to the side. The guy on the right looks like he's posing for his mugshot - he has that stunned look! They're both cute:>