Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Favorite supplies


Sketchbook: Super Deluxe Aquabee, because of the 93# paper and double-sizing it can take a lot of water compared to every other brand I've tried. (only available at dickblick.com, not locally for me).

Other brands are ok if I'm not using water. Pro-Art, Strathmore, etc. Standard Moleskines' paper is too thin, the M. sketchbook paper is too resistant to water.

Permanent Ink Pens: Koh-I-Noor Nexus--because they work well at an
angle. Others like Pigma Micron or Staedtler need to be held at a straighter
angle. I like the Pigma or Faber-Castell Pitt brush pens a lot, though. Or my Namiki or Waterman fountain pens.

Soluble-ink pens: I love these for using the ink line as a wash source. How wet the line stays depends on the paper--if the ink is absorbed immediately, wash doesn't work. But if the ink takes a bit to dry, the wash works fine. For soluble ink pens, especially Pilot Precisegrip, 1.0 mm (broad) width, Pilot Varsity fountain pens, or the Zebra Sarasa on the right paper. Marvy markers dissolve well too.

Paint: Just to color a sketch lightly, any decent watercolor works for me: Winsor Newton or Van Gogh mini-kit pan paint. I don't try to do much lifting or glazing. I like to work quickly and be done with the sketch, not go back after drying for another layer.

I like to do a sketch, turn the page, and do another. Drying time is frustrating. For me, drawing is all about process and seeing, not much about product.

Mindfulness, not artistry--that's my excuse.

1 comment:

Teri said...

Nita, I really like you Blog and have added it to my Links. Now that I finally know how to do it.

I will be back to visit yours often. Love your use of watercolor, it is just what I want to do.

Teri